Monday 22 July 2013

Mongols and Mountains

There is a remarkably large amount of remarks that can be made about the names  Mongols as a history podcast will tell you. Surprisingly, hours of this podcast remain interesting. Fun facts like horses were likely domesticated in what is now Ukraine. The podcast also reminded us that 15-16% of all people are thought to be directly related to Genghis Khan; an incomprehensible fact, yet a repeated one. 

We are on our way to Eagle, Alaska for approximately a week's worth of excavations with a man named Bob. 

Oddly enough, it is not far beyond the border that you can tell you left Canada. I mean besides the obvious US flags and passing through customs. I mean things like accents. A few hours from Beaver Creek and yes, there's an accent for Alaska. And plenty of fireweed.

I love road trips so I'm quite content to be in this car all day alternatively sleeping and sight-seeing, jumping out at Northway, Tok, and Chicken, and realizing that I'm once again under legal drinking age. Not that I'm too concerned, just an odd regression of things. 

Tomorrow we cross the Yukon River on some sort of boat. Sounds like it should be a good time. Niki, who has been here before says that it's only fun for like 15 minutes. I think she's underestimating my love of boats. 

I think I'm enjoying this Mongolian podcast more than the last one (about Egyptians and Persians) because the names are familiar. Genghis Khan is a big deal. Plus that Chinese ceramic paper I did last semester was focused on the Sung dynasty so I at least somewhat know about people like the Jurchins. Funny when information soaked up in school is actually relatable. 

Yes, there is a remarkably large amount of remarks that can be made about the Mongols. But the Alaskan mountains; the mountains, the scenery.They speak for themselves. 


No comments:

Post a Comment